DoDI 5040.02 mandates captions that are complete and correct. The DoD VI Style Guide provides guidance for writing captions using the ABCs of caption writing to encapsulate the 5Ws. Read on for some examples of using the ABCs to write effective captions.
- Who - the subject or subjects in an image or video
- What - the action taking place in an image or video
- Where - the location of the subject or action
- When - the date, as written per the AP Style Guide
- Why/How - why the action is being performed or how it is being performed
When constructing your caption, follow the ABCs of effective caption writing: accuracy, brevity and clarity.
Discover content by selecting individual tiles, or using the buttons across the top.
The ABCs of a Great Caption