Per DoD Instruction 5040.02, all imagery, with associated captions and metadata, must be submitted to DMA using one of the methods described below, regardless of release status. This includes the original, hi-res version of all images and video posted to DoD and non-DoD web pages and social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and Instagram.
The following steps and content are adopted from DoD Instruction 5040.02.
Before selected images are submitted, ensure each submitted image meets the captioning and metadata standards described in the DoD VI Style Guide
Unclassified or Released VI
- Submit to DMA via DIVDS, as outlined in step 3.
For Office Use Only (FOUO), Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI), Unreleased or Classified VI
- Do not send to DVIDS.
- Shall be handled by the originating command in accordance with DoD VI Records Schedule and DoDD 8000.01 in coordination with the service or DoD Records Manager.
Once registered, select the DVIDS Direct
tab to begin the submission process.
- Up to 2GB of imagery can be submitted through the web interface in a single session.
- Submit only high-resolution images; low-resolution imagery is of little historical value.
- Complete the DVIDS metadata screen for each asset.
- DVIDS also offers FileZilla to facilitate FTP/SFTP submissions. Follow directions on DVIDS Direct page for this option.
- Alternate Method: Email or AMRDEC SAFE direct to DMA.
- If you cannot access or transmit via DVIDS, please coordinate with DMA Customer Services at http://www.dimoc.mil/Customer-Service/Contact-Us/.
- If your unit has a registered DVIDS account, you may transmit images via regular email or AMRDEC SAFE, which allows for the secure transmission of up to 25 items or 2GB of data. AMRDEC SAFE also allows the option to encrypt your files.