Follow these tips to take professional head and shoulder length photos of your subject:
- Set up the shot so the top of the frame is two inches above the head and the bottom of the frame is at, or just below, mid-chest.
- Pose the subject facing camera with left shoulder forward.
- Select the background governed by your service or unit standard operating procedures.
- Set the camera height to be level with the subject’s upper lip and the tip of the nose.
- Use a camera aperture that will allow for the eyes and ribbons to be in focus.
- If the service member has sleeve rank, take the photo in a manner to allow the sleeve rank to be vertically bisected when cropped for the final print.
When in the studio, use the infographic below as a quick reference.